Creating project custom fields and lookup tables is a common activity in a life of PPM consultant.
While doing this fun activity, there is often a challenge when we try to copy/paste values from Excel to a custom lookup table. This process often tries to paste all the copied values in a single cell along with the formatting. Now, if you are using Chrome, you can use ctrl+shift+v to copy the text only. However, you will still end with all the values appearing in one cell.
This process will look more or less like the below:
Figure 1 Custom Lookup Table
Figure 2 Excel Data Source
If it’s only a few rows, you might give up on your copy/paste adventure and just create it manually. But what if it’s more than a few rows for each lookup table?
This is where Project Professional can help with a very neat option.
- Connect project with target Project Online/on-premises instance.
- Create a local Custom Field in Project Professional, with a Lookup table.
- Copy/paste the Excel values to the Lookup Table dialog box.
- You will find that it’s a lot easier to do this option, plus it will highlight if there is any error with the values. Such as repeating rows that lookup tables don’t allow, etc.
- Close the dialog box and press the magic button Add Field to Enterprise.
- You will get the option to edit the Field Name and the associated Lookup table.
- Project will confirm that the operation was executed successfully.
- Close the dialog box, don’t forget to say thanks to Project, and go to your project custom fields and lookup page. Refresh a page and you will find your Custom Field and Lookup Table with all the values tightly intact.
Hope this works for you!