Auto-numbering is a common requirement when working with SharePoint lists. You may want an auto-incrementing number on Issues list items such as “ISS-001” and so on. If you try using calculated column with ID field and entered a formula such as = (“ISS-00” & [ID]), this won’t work for new items! The reason being ID field is filled ONLY after the item is created.
Here are the steps to create an auto-incrementing number field in a SharePoint list designer workflow:
- Create a new column, such as : Increment Number in issue list with Number type. Make this column hidden in a view.
- Create another column, such as : Issue No. in issue list with Formula type and add the following formula = “ISS-00” & [Increment Number]. This Column will show the increment items’ numbers in the list.
- Open SharePoint designer, create new list workflow (for issues list).
- Add a workflow action: “Update list Item” >> Current Item >> Add >> Set this field to your Target field (Increment Number), set value from Current Item:ID field (as below).
- Set the workflow start option to “Start Workflow automatically when an item is created”.
- Save and Publish the workflow.