We were recently completing an installation of SharePoint and Project Server 2013. During the process we were utilizing an installation script, but we received the same behavior whilst utilizing the configuration wizard. While it was trying to create a new SharePoint Configuration database the installation would fail. Each Instance would create the shell of the database with a few tables and then the configuration would fail. The failure detailed in the user interface or in PowerShell is:
New-SPConfigurationDatabase: User could not be found.
Reviewing the SharePoint logs we were also seeing the error:
An error occurred while getting information about the user (Username) at server internal.servername: The RPC server is unavailable.
In the event logs we would see errors such as:
SQL Database ‘Dev_Config’ on SQL Server instance ‘servername’ not found. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.
Cannot open database “Dev_Config” requested by the login. The login failed.
Login failed for user ‘INTERNAL\username’.
The first test was to check we could communicate with the SQL server. We confirmed that this was possible. We also reviewed the installation account and confirmed the correct permissions were available for the installation account in SQL.
On further review, we identified that the installation account was not actually readable within active directory. If it’s not readable for some reason, the installation will fail as the installation process tries to contact active directory to read it and believes it does not exist and will therefore fail. The simple solution is to ensure your installation account is readable and this will resolve the error.